Monday 28 December 2015

My Roots.



In my last post I got a bit personal & emotional.
This one goes farther.
This Granite tor is my roots.
I spent the first thirteen years of my life living less than half a kilometre from it, & still live about a kilometre from it.
The heath around it & the disused granite quarry below it where my playground & my nature classroom.
I can remember picking bilberries with my mother when I was five.
Purple stained lips & fingers.
I can remember huddling under the overhang with my first love when the heavens opened.   Feeling manly & protective as a curtain of water cascaded around us, although I was still very much a boy.
I can remember the start, then the fascination, when I saw my first adder basking on the rock.
So many memories for one lump of rock & those only mine.
I wonder how many others it holds.


Looking East from Carn Grey you can see three more Cornish Tors.
In the foreground you can see Helman Tor.  Rear left Rough tor, not pronounced rough but row as in argument.  & rear right Brown Willy from Cornish Bronn Wennili, meaning "hill of swallows".
The Cornish backbone.
With my feet on the ground & my head in the clouds I look forward to 2016.
I hope it's a better year for everyone, especially for those I care for.
I raise a glass to the future.


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous pics, I remember climbing Brown Willy with my children when they were small and laughing at the name. Hill of swallows sounds much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim & Nicky.
      Sorry for the slow reply.
      I should set up e-mail notification but I'm a technophobe.
      Your comment has made me realise It's time I went back to the hill of swallows. It's been a long time.

      Delete